Posted by: Ryan Langston - 09.15.2016 - 9:56 am
“The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting and achieving goals.”
– Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World
Goal setting is crucial to accomplishing the dreams you envision for yourself, both personally and professionally. In a recent study, Gail Matthews concluded that those who wrote down their goals accomplished significantly more than those who didn’t. Matthews’ study provides empirical evidence for the effectiveness of accountability, commitment, and goal setting. To read the full study click here.
Forbes Magazine suggests following this four-step process to create success-driving goals (click here to access the article):
- Create a Vision: Figure out exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Most of us are familiar with the following exchange from Alice in Wonderland:
Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
- Dream big – what does your ideal life look like? Document your vision in detail so that you have a clearly defined objective.
- Make it Measurable: Make your vision achievable and be realistic. Determine time frames, define parameters, and hammer out the fine details.
- Set Benchmarks: Benchmarks keep you motivated and on track. Set benchmarks with realistic time frames. If they seem insurmountable, continue to break them up into smaller and smaller goals until they become achievable. Benchmarks can help you see your vision as attainable rather than simply a lofty dream.
- Celebrate Your Success: Reward yourself as you work toward a goal. It keeps you motivated and eager even during difficult times.
At Goosehead, goal setting is ingrained in every aspect of our business. Goals help our Corporate Agents develop sales and time-management skills and pace out their success. Defined, achievable goals have helped our agents become 4x more productive than other agents in the industry. This gap only grows wider as we are continuously improving.
Goals setting also allows our Agency Support Team to be an effective strategy and accountability resource for our Agency Owners. This has led to a dramatic increase in productivity for those who have chosen to partner with Goosehead Insurance.
Posted in: General